Paint

We went back and forth with the options to get some colour on this thing.. the usual stuff like finish, quality, speed and perhaps most importantly cost had to be considered. As this was never meant to be a show car and were on a tight budget, we decided to roller it, yes! you read it right =) we used Rustoleum paint and rollers to apply it.

To be honest, this is something that I had been wanting to do for a while as I’ve come to learn that you can get some really decent results (okay not show finish) even with a brush as long as you’re meticulous. We decided that the best way to go by would be to apply the paint in coats diluted to varying degrees with thinner and wet sand between these.
So we started off with a thick, almost undiluted coat of paint, let it dry and then sanded it with a relatively coarse abrasive to even out imperfections from the preparation work. Thick paint is a little more forgiving.
After sanding and cleaning the work surface, it was time to apply the next coat of paint. This time it was diluted with a larger amount of thinner making the paint “runnier”.

Paint -> let dry -> sand -> clean -> repeat

Paint -> let dry -> sand -> clean -> repeat

Paint -> let dry -> sand -> clean -> repeat

I don’t know how many times we had to repeat this process to get full coverage but quite a few.. orange paint doesn’t cover very well so we would perhaps have been wiser to use a primer. Anyway.. the results are well.. not bad actually =)

Leave a Reply