The baja engine being re-assembled

Engine work

Work continues on the Baja and we’re slowly inching forward with the engine; the tinware was stripped off so the engine could be thoroughly cleaned and whilst at it we decided to add a bit of orange to the engine block. The heat-exchangers are being replaced as the old ones were a bit crusty and…

The bug as it arrived

In the beginning there was a bug

And it was good.. but not good enough =) This is the start of a great new build, not for myself but for a friend who has mysteriously developed a love (or obsession) for Baja Buggies. Don’t know how it happened but I suspect I may have had something to do with it, they say…

Posing in the buggy

Time to get busy again

I have been so busy with the new website and social media lately that I haven’t had much time to update the blog. As I was upgrading the platform that it is based on trying to make it look a little more modern I couldn’t help asking myself whether blogs like this one aren’t a…

Buggy ready for MOT

Results at Last..

After many years of persevering all the hard work finally paid off, I set myself a dead-line earlier in the year and managed to get the buggy back on the road again. It passed its first MOT in 8 years first time and the only advisories were related to the headlamp aim, I forgot the…

BeachBuggyClub

A quick status update

Our new community for beach buggy enthusiasts has been a great success, in only a few months over 150 people have signed up. I have decided however to keep this blog running independently instead of redirecting it to the new site as I have found out that a lot of you out there follow these…

Buggy girls at BugRun

Bug Run 2010 – Sweden

I have just returned from this year’s Bug Run show in Sweden and I must admit, am a little disappointed.. there weren’t enough buggies for my taste, the entrance fee keeps increasing despite less cars and entertainment on offer and sadly the weather let us down which meant that we didn’t get to see the…

VW Pistons

Simple service turned into a full rebuild

Sadly we ran into a major setback with the Manx project.. I took the head covers off with the intention of adjusting valve clearance prior to firing up the engine for the first time and discovered that both rocker assemblies had failed, which deposited a lot of metal fragments in the engine oil. How could…

Buggy dashboard

New instruments and engine overhaul

With the electrical system now finished, the new carpet and seats in place and the battery firmly secured, the bonnet could be re-fitted. The use of connector blocks between the instruments attached to the dash and the rest of the car made this a walk in the park. The beautiful Smiths instruments that were fitted…